It’s been a busy week across the Motorcycle Racing world, here’s all the latest news across the classes.
- In tribute to the great Nicky Hayden Dorna officials have announced that number #69 will be retired at the 3rd round of the 2019 season in America at the Circuit Of The Americas out of respect to the Hayden family. Hayden took the number 69 to the 2006 World Championship after beating Valentino Rossi who fell at turn 2 in Valencia.
- Four-time World Champions Stefan Dörflinger and Jorge Martinez will be inducted into the MotoGP™ Legends Hall of Fame. Stefan, a German-born Swiss will be inducted at the German round in Sachsenring whilst Martinez will be inducted at the final round in Valencia. The pair will now join the likes of Giacomo Agostini, Mick Doohan, Geoff Duke, Wayne Gardner, Mike Hailwood, Daijiro Kato, Eddie Lawson, Anton Mang, Angel Nieto, Wayne Rainey, Phil Read, Jim Redman, Kenny Roberts, Jarno Saarinen, Kevin Schwantz, Barry Sheene, Marco Simoncelli, Freddie Spencer, Casey Stoner, John Surtees, Carlo Ubbiali, Alex Crivillé, Franco Uncini, Marco Lucchinelli, Randy Mamola, Kork Ballington, Dani Pedrosa and the late, great Nicky Hayden in the MotoGP Legends Hall Of Fame.
- The all-new Petronas Yamaha team revealed their 2019 bikes earlier this week at the Petronas Towers in Malaysia. The 2019 bikes see a nice gradient between black and Petronas green with the Petronas logo in the centre of the fairing. The Moto3 and Moto2 machines are running the same design but sadly drop the cyan blue ‘lightning’ effects they had in previous years. Franco Morbidelli and Fabio Quartararo were joined on stage with Moto2 rider Khairul Idham Pawi and Moto3 riders John Mcphee and Ayumu Sasaki.
- The Italtrans Moto2 team have also unveiled their brand new Triumph 765cc Moto2 machine being ridden by Italians Enea Bastianini and Andrea Locatelli.
- Valentino Rossi has dropped hints on how the brand new Monster Energy Yamaha M1 could look after The Doctor made a comment hinting to an Inter-inspired livery for the Factory Yamaha team. Petronas announced their livery and many fans are expecting the Factory Yamaha team to look similar with Blue replacing the Petronas Green seen on Rossi’s proteges (Morbidelli) M1.
- Aleix Espargaro has claimed that it will be impossible for Jorge Lorenzo to beat his new teammate Marc Marquez whilst Lorenzo fires a shot back at Aleix by saying “Impossible is a word weak men use”
- World Superbikes have completed their 2nd official test of 2019 in Portimao with Jonathan Rea returning to the top of the timesheet by 0.9s over an impressive Alex Lowes who has been inside the top 3 in every test so far this year. Rounding out the top 3 was WorldSBK rookie Alvaro Bautista who is getting on nicely with his new V4R. Other riders who impressed was Tom Sykes on the BMW and Sandro Cortese who ended the test in 7th and faster than Marco Melandri.
Featured Image Credit: Red Bull